Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Crucifix



Photo by: Tania Zatikian
 I was very fascinated with the lecture pertaining to the Crucifix. I really like how you can see the evolution from the Byzantine art to the Renaissance. In my earlier blog I mentioned how interested I was in how different artists depict religion in their artwork. I see crucifix images everywhere in my day-to-day life, but I have never seen the panel of the life of Christ. Which in my opinion is very important to understanding the actual event that led to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It’s pretty much the first four books in the New Testament. Not only was it a significant piece but it was also an educational piece, I didn’t know this until the lesson we had in class. We automatically assume everyone had the same privileges that we have today, but what I failed to realize is that some people did not know how to read, so the panel was the only bible they had.  Which is why I appreciate The Doors to Paradise that much more. It gives the piece that much more meaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment