Sunday, November 11, 2012

Michelangelo


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo

The more I read about Michelangelo the more impressed I get. I believe from all the artists that we have studied he would have to be my favorite one. I can relate to his art and his style because it’s quite similar to mine. Of course my work doesn’t come close to Michelangelo’s masterpieces. It’s clear that Vasari was quite fond of him as well. In my earlier blogs I talk about the Pieta, and this past weekend I had the privilege to see it in person. It was more than what I could have imagined. Vasari makes him sound like an art god, like he can do no wrong. He says while talking about the Pieta that “ no sculptor, not even the most rare artist, could ever reach this level of design and grace, nor could he, even with the hard work, ever finish, polish, and cut the marble as skillfully as Michelangelo did here, for in this statue all of the worth and power of sculpture is revealed.” I couldn’t agree more, he finished this piece at age 24, which shocked me beyond words could express, because I’m 24. He was a genius who was blessed with such amazing talent and capacity to understand what no other artist at the time was able to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment