Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Transfiguration


"The Transfiguration"
Photo by: Tania Zatikian

Its funny, every single time we go to a new museum or discuss a piece during class, I say to myself, “No, this is my favorite piece!” constantly being surrounded by all this beauty it’s hard to single one out. So, for this week, my favorite painting is the Transfiguration. Main reason this painting caught my eye was because this is my style of work. It’s really easy for me to relate to Michelangelo and Raphael, because their work is what I one day want to reach that level of excellence. It was known to be one of Raphael’s last paintings. The painting represents the connection between God and his people. At first glance I thought that this painting represented Jesus coming back after being crucified, the resurrection. But the image is divided into two parts; the upper part shows the Transfiguration with Jesus in the middle and Elijah and Moses by his side. The bottom half Raphael painted a scene with the Apostles trying to help this child who is possessed, because they are unsuccessful they need help from above. So in this Raphael combined the two separate scenes together. Beautiful work of art, I absolutely love his painting technique. I can only hope one day that my own work will be as flawless as this painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment